Monday, April 23, 2012

Pat's Tap *** 3/5 stars



Pat's tap, Tap's Pat, Sap's Tat, etc... Whatever you call it, it will never be the same as Casey's. Oh how I miss the smell of urinal in the afternoon. For those who aren't hip to the So-Map jive, Pat's replaced a sketchy local dive with food, atmosphere and a...more hygienic crowd. Oh, and free skee-ball.



The space is a decent size. Nice patio, long bar, two long high-tops and a plethora of tables...And they're often packed.



One of the things that always perplexes me here is the decor. It's very Schwarzwald nightmare.



The wallpaper features a design with poodles touring Paris. I find this so offensive that I sometimes cry myself to sleep at night thinking about it. Even though it's actually a reproduction of the original uncovered during demolition, the color palette is nauseating.



Whoa, settle the negativity! Really, this place has its redeeming qualities. Like this mimosa as big as your head. The juice and bubbles are super fresh.



Beth says she loves the bloody mary as much as she loves re-runs of Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman...and that's a lot!



The food is better than okay. Here's Bridget's omelet of the day...



The arugula cheddar scramble and some fresh hashbrowns. I don't really prefer the browns here. Too soggy...



Gorgeous benny...



Okay. I ordered a burger for brunch. This may only happen once in my life, so I'm glad it's being documented. Those giant chips are taking over the world. That's fried cheese...it's tasty. This burger was over-salted and more well done than medium...but the ones I've had here in the past were great. This one, however imperfect, saved my life on this morning.



Here's a sub par photo of some kind of meaty hash...



Chomp.



I'm not gonna say anything great about the service here. It can be hit or miss. And I kinda find free skee-ball to be anti-climactic (sorry for the lack of photo). I'd much rather anticipate some cheap stuffed dragon or framed unicorn mirror as a prize. But, Pat has really taken this neighborhood up a notch. #whenpoodlesattack

1 comment:

  1. Being a block away Pat's tap is like my second living room, at least whenever I can manage to find a seat. This place has been a hot spot ever since it opened up last fall. Each time I go there I seem to find a reason to dislike it (maybe because it's loud, or crowded, or hit-or-miss service), but for some reason I still love it. Something about the atmosphere makes it my kind of place and I'll keep going back. They also finally passed whatever ordinance needed to be passed so they can open up their entire patio, just in time for summer. I've also heard that their burgers are some of the best around.

    ReplyDelete