Sunday, December 2, 2012

The Lowry ****4/5 stars


This is the Lowry. The old Hollywood Video - RIP - on Hennepin and 21st is now a burger/oyster/whisky joint that also happens to excel at brunch.



The interior is bright and warm with a fireplace and ample seating in the foyer. I love the painted floor graphics and the raw cement, the warm wood and the modern red accents... It's almost so pulled together that I was initially skeptical of the food quality.


We had to wait about 20 minutes, so I sat in the foyer and observed people's brunch attire. I am always happy to see that I am not the only one that rolled out of bed and zombie walked straight to brunch. Soon we were seated and admiring the little swag box on our table. I wonder, what does a person use matches for these days but to desperately smoke a cigarette and then instantly regret it?



The menu has some good options...bennie, hash, mexican, classic...and a good selection of sweet stuff. I was craving sweet this morning, which was out of the ordinary. I always like to choose my drink to contrast my meal, so I went savory with the bloody mary. It was really great, too. It comes with a huge chunk of cheddar cheese, a good pickle and a lime. Classic.


So here's the shirred eggs. Pure heaven. Mushrooms and truffle and cream and perfect eggs. Seriously unreal. The pancakes were pretty standard - nothing mind-blowing...wish I would have gotten the champagne peach french toast...


And the chilaquiles were fantastik...


One thing I don't enjoy is this random coffee mug. I prefer something over-sized and saucered...


Our server was a doll. Very attentive. I really wanted to stay and order up another round cuz everything was just so great. I'm happy the digital age has paved a spot for this uptown gem. The Lowry is hot. Go get sum!

No comments:

Post a Comment