Monday, November 12, 2012

Cafe Maude on Loring ***3/5 stars

Maude Armatage believed in civilized leisure, contrary to what I look for in a brunch spot, but I know better, because I've visited her southside sister and she's saucier than she lets on. So Nick and Eddy have left the building. Enter Maude. She's spiced the place up a little with some nice lighting, but nothing drastic...


Still this space is pretty epic, with its towering ceilings, fully wired sound system and seating for groups of 10+ (there's even a loft for special parties.) We hope that Maude can draw more attention than Nick and Eddy. One would assume.


I don't faint at the sight of Maude's brunch menu. The list is short and has some odd twists... nothing too enticing. The recommended bloody mary is made with gin. Don't get me started on snobby mixologists and gin. You can say it's better because it has more flavor than vodka, but sometimes, honey, you don't want to taste the stringent zest of coniferous bush, you just want something that blends nicely away into your tomato juice and starts to make you feel warm and foggy. It's a feeling, not a flavor. Although Maude sounds like a woman who would have crawled into her bathtub with a bottle.


The drink list is good, though. Don't get me wrong. And they'll make you a vodka bloody if you ask nicely. The bellini was bellissimo. There are more, fancier drinks. We just stuck to the basics.


So here's my benedict, and oh it was almost perfect, but the eggs were more hard than easy. That giant salad made me so happy. I think I am Vitamin D deficient lately. I am craving greens like a crazy person.


They douse their potatoes in goat cheese here. Interesting. Kinda chalky in texture, but good in flavor. You can opt out of the cheese bath if the funk isn't your jive. This is the mediterranean omelette...


This is the classic breakfast, but has the most elaborate plating...


And here's some pukey looking biscuits and eggs in a chickpea gravy. The word on this is "no beuno." But the eggs look perfect.


So otherwise people enjoyed their food. Then they bring you your checks in old books. Neat.


I'd say go to Maude for dinner instead of brunch. I've had some of the best dinners at the south location. And come on Thursday nights to hear great DJs spinning vinyl. The cocktails are expensive, but good and strong. Peace out from the bad eggs crew...thanks to Brandon for cutting off half the group.




No comments:

Post a Comment